Closing Date 25 February 2024Apply Now
Epsom College is an independent co-educational day and boarding school with approximately 1,100 pupils. It is set in an attractive campus of some 72 acres and is located approximately one mile south of Epsom Town. It is a busy community with many fine facilities.
The Commercial and Events department has responsibility for the management, development, marketing and quality control of the commercial activities of Epsom College. During the School holiday periods this involves hiring our facilities to external clients for a variety of events such as weddings, celebration sports and in particular, to companies delivering residential language schools or sports camps.
The department works very closely with the Facilities department, which comprises of Porters, Housekeepers, Laundry, Domestic Assistants and Reception staff, who all report to the Facilities Manager.
Working alongside the Facilities Manager is the Facilities Co-ordinator, and the whole department is headed by the Bursar.
Reporting to The Commercial & Events Manager, you will be the first contact point to assist or deal with any issue arising from the use of Epsom College by an outside organisation; and you will ensure the College buildings are secure.
The aim of the role is to assist in the provision of a high-quality, efficient, support and advice service to residential and venue hire clients whilst at the College.
Main Tasks & Responsiblities
- To be on site for the period of duty to safeguard the interests of the College and its Community.
- Be visible, make yourself known to the client and the key people based at the College.
- Be present and assist our clients for routine requests up to 22.00 pm –after this to respond as on call and use emergency out of hours where appropriate.
- Be easily contactable – ensure the telephone in the Commercial and Event Manager’s Office is transferred to the Duty Manager mobile phone.
- Walk the main routes regularly – check the main buildings – ensure windows are closed, lights turned off and outer building doors locked.
(Suggested times: After picking up diary & keys at 4.30 pm, after meeting with clients in the dining hall 6.30 pm – 7.00 pm and final lock up 10.00 pm).
- Know the procedure for dealing with maintenance problems, Student related problems, Fire Alarm activation & Panic Bolt Alarm activation.
- Undertake Fire evacuation procedure in the houses upon arrival of students.
- Maintain the Duty Manager’s Diary, logging any incidents or items of note. The keys & Duty Manager’s Diary are to be returned with a short handover to the CEM or FM Office at 08.30 am the following day.
- To report any defects and remove from service any defective items.
- To be of smart appearance and appropriately dressed.
- To be aware of responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. To ensure adherence to relevant regulations. i.e. Fire Safety, Manual Handling, C.O.S.H.H. etc.
- To be aware of the security requirements and the implications of strangers on campus.
- To adopt a flexible approach to the role and undertake any other reasonable task as requested.
Epsom College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment including regular training attendance.
Skills & Attributes
- Excellent communicator and good written skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Customer focused with an eye for “attention to detail”
- Ability to analyse, problem solve and make sound judgement and decisions
- Able to follow routines and safety protocols
- Reliable, friendly and professional outlook with a can-do approach
- Assertive when required
- Proactive, and able to work under pressure, whilst maintaining a calm and professional manner
- An appreciation and understanding of safeguarding protocols and procedures
Terms & Conditions
Salary: £11.69 per hour (minimum of 4 hours per shift).
- Shifts patterns will vary to in accordance with needs of the business and as agreed on the Duty Manager Rota.
- Some of the duty Duty Manager shifts may require the post holder to reside on campus in provided accommodation.
- Whilst the role will require the post holder to carry out specific duties he/she will be able to take rest breaks, undertake other activities and sleep when not called out.
- ‘On Call’ will be paid £40 per shift (21.00 – 08.00) and £15.00 per hour if required to attend on site during this period.
- ‘On Call’ residential shifts will be determined by the Commercial Events Manager and scheduled on Rota.
Hours: There are no guaranteed hours of working. Shifts will be allocated to the Duty Manager Rota team depending upon the needs of the College.
Holiday: In addition, you will be paid statutory holiday payment based on the weeks/hours worked calculated at 5.6 weeks per annum and pro rata during this temporary appointment.
Pension: The College operates the Epsom College Automatic Enrolment Scheme. The Scheme is administered by the Pensions Trust. Eligibility is based on statutory criteria. If eligible, the Employee will be required to contribute a minimum of 5% of Basic Salary and the College will contribute 4% in compliance with current legislation.
Duty Manager – ‘On Call’: From 21.00 – 08.00 a Duty Manager maybe required to be ‘on call’ during these hours. The designated Duty Manager will hold the duty phone at all times and respond accordingly to an emergency request from a hirer.
Wherever possible, the issue should be resolved, or a temporary solution provided until a permanent solution can be implemented.
There is no expectation for the ‘on call’ Duty Manager to remain at home, however, they must ensure the Duty Manager mobile is charged at all times and upon their person to ensure they respond to any call received.
The ‘on call’ Duty Manager must be able to reach the College within 20 mins if absolutely necessary. The client/hirer will have access to all emergency numbers provided by the College. For those incidents that necessitate attendance on site by the ‘on call’ Duty Manager, they will be paid from the time they arrive at the College until they leave, for a minimum of 1hr.
Payment: ‘On Call’ will be paid £40 per shift (21.00 – 08.00) and £15.00 per hour if required to attend on site during this period.
Offer of Post
The post will be offered subject to receipt of satisfactory written references, pre-placement medical assessment, proof of appropriate qualifications, a check of online search engines and websites of publicly available information that does not identify the candidate as potentially unsuitable to work within a school setting, a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service and overseas police check if appropriate, as well as confirmation that the successful candidate is able to work in the UK.
Prior to interview, an online search of internet search engines, websites and other publicly available and publicly accessible platforms to ascertain applicant’s suitability to work within a school environment will be
undertaken on applicants that have been shortlisted. Please note whilst the Enhanced DBS check will be paid by the College if an overseas police check is required it will be at the cost of the successful applicant.
How to Apply
Application forms can be completed via the link at the top of this page.
Applicants should refer to the Recruitment, Selection and Disclosure policy on the College website.
Further details are available by contacting the Commercial and Events Manager email@example.com.
Closing date: 25th February 2024