Epsom College is an independent Co-educational Boarding and Day School for approximately 1100 pupils aged 11 to 18 years and operates the timetable 6 days per week. The School is located approximately one mile from Epsom town, below Epsom Downs, in fine buildings set in a beautiful tree-filled campus of some 72 acres.
The Catering Department provides all food and beverages for pupils, staff and visitors. As well as enjoying a professional reputation with the pupils, parents and teachers, it also provides catering services for external customers and other schools and regularly hosts national sporting events, weddings and other functions throughout the year.
To effectively work with the team of Chefs and Porters, ensuring that the kitchen is run to Epsom College’s high operational standards whilst assisting with the production of 1800 meals per day plus additional functions and meetings during term time. In addition, having the ability to change to commercial business during holiday periods whilst continuing the high standards to produce meals for weddings, conferences and corporate dinner and dances. To serve and assist at College functions and events.
Responsiblities & Accountabilities
- Carry out all Food Safety and Health and Safety Regulations. Ensuring all documentation and procedures are followed.
- Undertake all aspects in the cleaning of equipment within the sections of kitchen and dining room, – walls (up to 2 metres) floors, fixtures and fittings, pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, glassware ensuring that correct cleaning products and PPE equipment are used according to the cleaning rota or as directed.
- Assist with all aspects of preparation, production and presentation of food.
- To ensure a high standard of personal and general cleanliness and hygiene to comply with statutory regulations.
- Report on equipment, ensuring that all equipment breakdowns are reported to the Office and that staff are aware that equipment is faulty.
- To work within a team and ensure a responsible attitude towards other staff members.
- To assist at special functions, some of which may occasionally occur outside normal working hours.
- Undertake all duties in accordance with the College’s safeguarding protocols and procedures.
- Attend meetings and all mandatory training courses to develop relevant knowledge and skills
Epsom College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
- Level-headed, sensible, mature approach, trustworthy and reliable
- Ability to work flexibly under pressure
- A good sense of humour
- Excellent people skills and ability to work in a large team and/or alone
Knowledge/skills – desirable
- Previous experience working within a high-volume operation
- An understanding of Health and Safety and Food Safety Regulations
- Experience within a catering or customer service environment
Qualifications – desirable
- Food Safety
- Health & Safety
Terms & Conditions
- Salary: £25,707 per annum for full-time working and pro rata for part-time working.
- Hours: Flexible hours/shifts working across the 7-day catering rota throughout the year.
- Holidays: Equivalent to a total of 28 days pa inclusive of bank holidays full-time working and pro rata for part-time working rising by one day per year up to a maximum of 33 days pa inclusive of bank holidays following 5 years continuous service and pro-rated for part-time working.
- Pension: The College operates the Epsom College Automatic Enrolment Scheme. The Scheme is administered by the Pensions Trust. Eligibility is based on statutory criteria. If eligible, the Employee will be required to contribute a minimum of 5% of the Basic Salary and the College will contribute 4% in compliance with current legislation
- Life Assurance: Members who are automatically enrolled or who choose to opt into the College Pension Scheme will be provided with life assurance cover at two x contractual annual basic salary at no cost to them.
- School Fee Discount: subject to qualifying conditions generous school fee discount offered.
- Dining Facilities and Refreshments: Whilst at work a free meal and refreshments are available when the dining room is open
- Health Fitness and Wellbeing: Free use of the Fitness suite and swimming pool are available to staff at certain times.
- Cycle to Work: Subject to qualifying conditions, the College offers a cycle-to-work loan scheme
- Computer Loan: Subject to qualifying conditions, the College offers a computer loan scheme
- Free Parking
Offer of Post
The post will be offered subject to receipt of satisfactory written references, pre-placement medical assessment, proof of appropriate qualifications, and satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service and overseas police check if appropriate, as well as confirmation that the successful candidate is able to work in the UK.
Prior to interview an online search of internet search engines, websites and other publicly available and publicly accessible platforms to ascertain applicant’s suitability to work within a school environment will be undertaken on applicants who have been shortlisted. Please note whilst the Enhanced DBS check will be paid by the College if an overseas police check is required it will be at the cost of the successful applicant.
How to Apply
Candidates to complete an application form available via the button at the top of this page. Applications will be assessed in order of receipt and interviews may occur at any stage after applications are received. Please apply as soon as possible.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the Director of Catering, Bev Spencer, for an informal chat email@example.com