The English Department and Library held our annual M4 Poetry Evening in Main Hall. We were delighted to be joined once again by Francesca Beard, a performance poet who facilitated spoken word workshops for a selection of both Middle Fourth and Lower Sixth pupils during the afternoon. The evening was well attended by both pupils, parents and teaching staff who had the opportunity to enjoy all the hard work and creativity produced by the poetry project which was on display.
Francesca Beard judged three categories of work: A Poem in the Style of…, Original Poem and a Recital Competition.
The winners and runners up were as follows:
Poem in the style of
- Highly commended: Alice Lowe – Untitled Poem inspired by Rupert Brooke’s The Voice
- Runner up: Furaha Wassuna – Fly inspired by Maya Angelou’s And Still I Rise
- Winner: Francesca Meek – Mrs Deity inspired by Carol Ann Duffy’s Elvis’s Twin Sister
- Highly commended: Curtis Day – Staring Through the Window; Sienna Romero-Cameron – Can Hearts Freeze?
- Runner up: Peter Lucas – Winter Chess
- Winner: Sophie Matthews – Tea With Grandma
- Highly commended: Alice Lowe – The Voice by Rupert Brooke
- Runner up: Liz Lowndes – The Witch by Mary Elizabeth Coleridge
- Winner: Daniel Lodge – The Draft Horse by Robert Frost
To finish the evening, Francesca awarded the prizes to the winning competitors and Mr Wycherley and Miss Evans read out the two winning entries for the audience to enjoy. Francesca then gave a wonderful rendition of one of her own poems.
Miss Emily Evans