Rugby Round-Up | Epsom College
  • News

Rugby Round-Up

On Saturday against Hurstpierpoint, at 1st team level the opportunity was taken by both teams to rotate their players as Epsom prepared carefully for the Champions Trophy Final on Wednesday. This resulted in a gritty match that was decided 10-7 in Hurst’s favour by a last-minute penalty. James Webster (Fa) played well and many younger players took their opportunity to get 1st team experience.

The 2nd team battled hard for the second consecutive week with a different line up to come through with a confident 29-14 win. Both Tom Wearne (G) and Josh Cooke (P), in a player of the match display, scored two tries to ensure their unbeaten season continued.

The 3rd team was a combination of 3rd and 4th team players and they enjoyed a big win 47-7 against Hurst. Rufus Dent (H) starred with three tries, alongside an equally impressive Freddie Laflin (P).

In the junior teams, the U16s struggled against a strong Hurst year group, but all three teams showed excellent attitude and commitment in forcing their opponents to battle all the way to the end of the game, Henry Dalton (P) and Anish Patel (Rn) in particular standing out once again.

Six out of seven matches in the U15 and U14s were won.

The U15As score four good tries in difficult conditions and set them up for the battle against Harrow on Tuesday in the cup. Sadly, despite leading 7-5 at the break in this match, Harrow scored two good tries to stretch away and Epsom’s boys went down to a valiant 7-29 defeat to end their exciting cup run.

The Bs lost a tight game by one score against Hurst, but the C team continued their excellent run with a comprehensive 22-0 victory thanks to two tries from Jack Rich (H) and a virtuoso performance from Finn Walmsley (H).

In the U14s, the A team scored some excellent tries to win 31-12 following a quick start that put early points on the board. Kit Temperley (Rn) scored twice and Harry Addington (P) led the way with a commanding game.

John Esson (F) scored three tries and Jonathan Harris (Fa) two as the B team won easily 45-0 in an outstanding team performance.

The C team played immaculate rugby in eth first half to ensure their eighth successive victory, 57-7, with three players scoring two tries. Only St John’s lies ahead for this talented team finishing the season with a 100% record.

The fast-improving D team also won well, 56-10 against Sevenoaks C team, with Harry Pearson (H) scoring another three tries to take his tally to 16 for the season, while Freddy Daniels (F) scored two.

In the Lower School, there was a fantastic match for the U13Bs, drawing 35-35 in horrid wet conditions. George Stanley (GH) produced an excellent display as Sam Han (Hu) and Max Moir (Hu) both scored two tries.

Carter Ollerhead (Wa) stood out for the A Team but they faced a tough defensive challenge and went down to defeat.

The U12 As won comfortably 30-10, with talisman Oscar Lent (Wa) scoring four more tries and Ben Berry (GH) two, but the B team lost despite Kyle Ruth’s (Hu) efforts in a battling second-half display.

The season ends next Saturday with matches against St John’s.