Over half term the England Hockey National age group assessment took place, Epsom College had six pupils taking part and congratulations must go to Jamie Taylor (P), Delphine Ayitey-Hammond (Rv), Kitty Ellis (Wh), Polly Campbell (Rv), Tabitha Evans (M) and Amelia Burke (Rv) for being nominated for the trials which leads to playing for your country if successful.
The group took part in three intense half days of training with their fitness and hockey skills being assessed. The group must now wait until the 7 November to find out if they have been successful and move into the squads for their respective age groups.
This is a great achievement, and the pupils can be very proud of what they have accomplished so far.
Last year, our girls reached the final of the National Finals, losing by just one penalty stroke. This in itself capped off a remarkable rise in girls’ sport over recent years. Highlights include:
Girls Rugby 7s
- Winners, U18 Reigate 7s and Christ Hospital 7s
- Semi-Finalists, U18 National 7s (Rosslyn Park)
- Finalists, U14s National Finals
- Winners, U13 Sevenoaks Tournament, U14 Lord Wandsworth Tournament
- County Semi-Finalists, U15s
- Final stages of County competitions, U16 and U18
- 1st-4th XI teams lost just two of 40 matches last year
- 20+ players involved with England performance programmes across all age groups
- Quarter-Finalists, 1st VII in the National Independent Schools’ Cup (placing Epsom in the top eight in the UK)
- Winners, U12 and U13 Cranleigh Tournaments
- Several players selected for County sides